Sunday 20 December 2015

Welsh Cyclocross League Round 12: Pembrey Country Park

After being cancelled earlier in the month, the ever-popular Pembrey venue was rearranged to the last round of the series. Pembrey is all sandy well-draining ground and brings a welcome reprieve from plugging through the mud in December. Always fast, and normally something of a crit on grass, this year saw a shift to a different part of the park, butting right up to the beach and featuring some proper sections of sand.

I made an early start for the drive out west, aiming to have plenty of time to ride a brand new course and, having never ridden a course with a big sand component before, find a bike setup that I was happy with. The course was indeed something completely different: a long full-throttle section of fireroad to begin the lap, then a track that meandered up and down through the sand dunes, sometimes on hard-packed sand, sometimes through loose stuff. The lap ended with a bigger hill; up a set of steps and down a sandy dune to the finish line. It promised to be fast, with the only opportunity to catch my breath coming in the 30 seconds or so it took to ride down the descent to the finish each lap (a good job, as the run up the steps was sure to put me deep into the red).

I'd driven over through some heavy showers early in the morning, but it had stayed dry for the kids' races. No such luck for the main race, as the heavens opened just as we lined up at the start line. What had already felt like a barely adequate warm up (skipping my usual intervals for one more last-minute tempo ride around the course) now felt completely inadequate as I stood damp and shivering on the start line. Like I said Pembrey is always a popular race, and had indeed attracted a strong field, with all the main Welsh League protagonists in attendance looking for one more good result. The start - almost a kilometre flat out along a gravel fire road, promised to be fast and ruthless.

GO! 0 to 25 mph over gravel, banging bars and shoulders. Love it (I think). Photo by Howard Goldberg/Behnaz Dye

I got a good getaway from the second row, but got caught up in a little more body contact than I'm comfortable with at 25 mph as everyone jostled for position, and I dropped back to about 20th place. Despite a bit of rubbing of shoulders, the long open start did a good job of stringing the field out before we hit the technical stuff. I held my own reasonably well through the dunes, and avoided any major carnage on the descent back to the finish. The laps then flew by in a familiar pattern: a two-minute time trial along the fireroad; try to stay neat and tidy through the dunes; leg it up some steps and try not to lose too much time on the descent to the finish. Whilst I was riding this descent where some were running, I certainly wasn't as fast or as confident down it as some of my competitors. This had a knock-on effect on the start of the lap; this section was fast enough to allow a bit of drafting, but inevitably began with me trying to chase down the rider or group of riders who had put a few seconds into me on the descent.

Leg it up a sand dune, try not to throw up at the top, slide down the other side. Photo by Howard Goldberg/Behnaz Dye

As I accelerated down the fireroad for the fifth time, I felt the tell-tale feeling of a rear tyre that was softer than it should be. Yep, I had a puncture (the culprit was pretty obvious when I checked the bike afterwards - a wayward safety pin from somebody's race number was sticking out of my tyre!)... My first thought was to pack it in - only a good result could improve my position in the overall standings, and I wasn't going to get one now - but pride told me to get back to the pits and continue on the spare bike.

I got most of the way down the fireroad before the tyre lost all pressure, so I only had to limp over a few hundred metres of hard ground and then the rest of the lap was sand. This proved to be pretty rideable with zero psi in my rear tyre! Unfortunately I had nobody in the pits for me today, so it took me what felt like forever to find my spare bike when I got there. Oh well, the rest of the race was really going to be just for fun and pretty meaningless now, I thought.

I did three more laps on the spare bike, trying to work as hard as I had been before. I managed to catch and pass a few people who had overtaken me as I made my way slowly back to the pits, but I wasn't taking it entirely seriously any more, exemplified by exchanging end-of-term pleasantries and/or banter with a few riders as I lapped them, and when I caught some traffic on the climb up the steps, I was quite happy to plod up behind them rather than barge past at full gas.

I finished in 29th place - I was quite pleasantly surprised not to be further down the field - which was a completely irrelevant result in terms of the overall league, but other results had gone my way, meaning I hung on to my existing position in the overall standings.

That brings us to the end of another Welsh Cyclocross League season. It's been a busy, tiring and intense few months, but it's all been a lot of fun and a great series to be part of. More friends have been made, and more (hopefully friendly!) rivalries have been forged. No cycling discipline is as friendly as cyclocross, and meeting up with the same people week in and week out makes for a great little community. The atmosphere, with races for all ages and abilities, also can't be beaten, and neither can the quality of the cakes often being sold out of a rain-lashed gazebo. I've said it before but it bears repeating: the atmosphere at a cyclocross race is a little like that of a village fete, but one where nobody is surprised or disappointed by terrible weather.

This has been another year of racing not only cyclocross for me, but also road and cross country. Despite racing a season that began on the road in late February, I'm feeling less tired than this time last year. In fact, although the main event of Welsh League is over, I'm eyeing up a few other races over Christmas, and I may well put a bike in the back of the car and head off to one more race before the end of year. Then again, I might just treat myself to a slice of normal life over Christmas and put my feet up. Or if I'm feeling energetic, have a walk down to the pub.

No comments:

Post a Comment